Sunday, April 7, 2013
Blaze reportedly started in the mulch of a flower bed outside the building.
A discarded cigarette started a fire that has closed Fuddruckers restaurant, authorities said. Firefighters found heavy smoke inside a walk-in refrigerator and a "moderate" fire inside walls and the ceiling of the building Sunday at about 4 p.m., said Steven Toth, fire commissioner. Fire crews had to open interior and exterior walls to battle the blaze, Toth said. All "visible flames" were knocked down 30 minutes after firefighters arrived on scene. Officials from the Wayne Fire Investigation Bureau determined that a lit cigarette discarded in the mulch of a flowerbed outside the building caused the fire, Toth said. The fire caught hold of Styrofoam, which was used a backing for part of the building's exterior, traveeled up the wall, and…
Tuesday, March 26, 2013
Fire broke out at Haul Road warehouse Monday morning. One firefighter was treated for exhaustion.
Plastic materials in a cardboard box may have set off a chain reaction that caused a fire to break out at a warehouse on Haul Road Monday morning, authorities reported. Firefighters responded to a fire at the location at 10:15 a.m., said Fire Commissioner Steven Toth. They encountered heavy smoke coming from a large stack of cardboard boxes and wood pallets in the back of the warehouse. Firefighters were able to knock down most of the fire within 15 minutes and had the blaze under control in an hour, Toth said. Crews were on scene for another hour putting out the rest of the blaze. “Preliminary investigations point to hot plastics that were discarded in a cardboard box that was then placed next to stored materials, setting off a chain …
Tuesday, February 19, 2013
All five Wayne fire companies responded to the blaze.
All five fire companies put out a fire Monday evening at a facility that contained large vats of flammable industrial solvents, authorities said. Shortly before 2 p.m., Fire Companies 1, 2, and 5 were dispatched to Clifton Adhesives on Burgess Place off of Route 23 South for a reported fire alarm, said Fire Commissioner Steve Toth. Clifton Adhesives manufactures special industrial adhesives and coatings. John Gabriel, chief of Company 2, was first on the scene and found heavy smoke and flames coming from inside a mixing room that contained large vats filled with the flammable solvents, Toth said. Companies 3 and 4 were also dispatched to the scene. Using foam, the first firefighters inside the building, with the aid of the fire suppression…
Monday, February 11, 2013
Sign on the exterior of the building catches fire Saturday night, forcing evacuation of restaurant, apartments, fire commissioner said.
Gabriel's Restaurant and several apartments were evacuated after a sign on the exterior of the building caught fire Saturday night, Fire Commissioner Steve Toth said. A passing motorist notified police that an exterior sign attached to the building was on fire, Toth said. John Gabriel, who is the third-generation owner of the restaurant and chief of Fire Company 2 was in the kitchen cooking at the time the fire was reported, Toth said. He heard the call come in on his radio. Arriving firefighters found the sign and the sides of the second and third floors of the building on fire, Toth said. Gabriel ensured the restaurant and the residential apartments on the second and third floors were evacuated, Toth said. Firefighters quickly put out …
Thursday, January 3, 2013
Township reorganizes for the year. Toth sworn in as fire commissioner. Mayor Chris Vergano said municipality is not facing its own 'fiscal cliff.'
Councilwoman Nadine Bello was elected council president for 2013 at the township’s annual reorganization meeting on Wednesday. Bello, who represents the 6th Ward, was unanimously elected to the position. She thanked her colleagues for their support and said she will “work hard to represent all of the residents of Wayne. “Thank you for your support and confidence in me,” Bello said. In his annual State of the Township address, Mayor Chris Vergano said that Wayne is not facing a “fiscal cliff” and that “this administration and this Council have worked together long and hard during the past five years under my tenure to make sure that our financial house would remain in order and I feel that we have accomplished that goal.” (A copy of Vergano…
Monday, April 16, 2012
Chief John Gabriel said it was the largest turnout ever for the fundraiser.
About 250 residents joined local firefighters for Fire Company No. 2's annual pancake breakfast Sunday morning, Chief John Gabriel said. The event included food, an inflatable bounce house and appearances by a costumed Sparky the fire dog. Money raised from the event will be used to support the fire company. The company responses to approximately 650 emergency calls a year. "It's a good event for everybody in the area," Gabriel said. "It brings them together."