- Take some advice from the band Queen and get on your bikes and ride. The Lake Hopatcong Foundation hosts its firstAutumn Bike ChallengeSaturday at Our Lady Star of the Sea Parish. Participants in the event will ride a 20 or 40-mile course going clockwise around Lake Hopatcong. The event takes off at 9:15 a.m. for those doing the 40 miles, and those doing the shorter ride begin at 10 a.m. Organizers say the two rides will finish within 15 minutes of each other. The rain or shine event—sponsored by Marty's Reliable Cycle, PowerBar, Jamis, Dunkin Donuts, and Vinny & Son—begins and ends at the church, 204 Espanong Road. Click here to register and for entry fee info. Online registration ends Thursday at 11:45 p.m.
- Head to the Sussex County Fairgrounds for the Harvest, Honey and Garlic Festival. You'll find a bounty of fresh produce alongside honey and garlic products from the Sussex County Beekeepers Association and the Garden State Garlic Growers Saturday from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. The family event highlights agriculture, eco and arts and heritage tourism in northwest New Jersey. See works by acclaimed wildlife artist Carol Decker. Enjoy a farmers market with local fruits, veggies, flowers and wine. Learn about the region's wonders from environmental, agricultural and heritage groups. Enjoy activities geared for kids and, for the grownups, seeing the wares of area vendors. The fairgrounds is at 37 Plains Road in Augusta and the festival offers free admission. For details, call 973-579-0500, ext. 1336.
- The Morris County Track Club is preparing to start a brand new season with an Open House for prospective new members. The MCTC is a AAU, USATF and UAGTCA registered competitive private club and a member of the New Jersey Association dedicated to preparing youth track and field athletes to compete against the best athletes in New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and the nation. Its fall open house takes place from 6-8 p.m. at the Parsippany Police Athletic League Center at 33 Baldwin Road in Parsippany-Troy Hills. For details, head to http://www.mctrackclub.org.
- The Chester-based Cancer Hope Network holds its 27th annualChrysalis Gala Saturday night at the Hanover Marriott on Route 10 in Whippany. Honorees for 2013 are longtime network supporters Aggie and Jim Garibaldi. For more information on the elegant event or to obtain tickets, which are available at numerous donation levels starting at $300, call Diane at 877-467-3638. The glittery night begins with a cocktail hour at 7 p.m. and is followed by dinner at 8 p.m.
- The New Jersey Festival Orchestra and Opera at Florham present the wondrous sounds of classical music when they perform Verdi's "Aida" at the The Joseph D. Alessandro Memorial Opera Concert Sunday in Basking Ridge. The performance will feature international guest stars from the New York Metropolitan Opera and should be a special treat for those who love orchestral music and the operatic arts. The concert starts at 3 p.m. Sunday at Ridge High School, 268 S. Finley Ave. in Basking Ridge. Tickets run from $25-$75 for general seating; student tickets are $12. To purchase yours or to get more information go to http://njfestivalorchestra.org/ or call 973-539-8008.
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.Write a new post...What do you want to share?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something