District education officials won’t speculate on the effects possible sequestration spending cuts could bring to the district.
Funding for education in New Jersey would be slashed by nearly $30 million should Congress fail to halt $85 billion in spending cuts scheduled to go into effect Friday.
“Any specific comment on the potential impact of our sequestration on our district would be purely speculative,” Superintendent Ray Gonzalez said in a statement Tuesday. “We’re not actively engaged in the process of planning our budget for the 2013-14 school year, and all decisions are being made based on tangible information currently at hand.”
If the spending cuts do go into effect the state would lose $11.7 million for primary and secondary education initiatives and another $17 million for more than 200 teachers, aides, and staff who assist children with disabilities.
The district is still refining its preliminary $132.2 million budget. The average homeowner’s school taxes would increase $205 if the budget were approved.
The district is looking at a $2.4 million shortfall if all programs and district services are kept the same.
Officials are still waiting to hear how much state aid the district will receive. Wayne received $3.8 million last year.
The Board of Education approved the preliminary budget last week.
“We plan to publicly share detailed information on this upcoming budget within the next several weeks,” Gonzalez said.
Officials will host another public meeting about the budget at Wayne Valley High School at 7 p.m. on March 14.