Wayne Hills Football Player Could Sue Officials for $15 Million
Lawyer sends notice of claim to several township and school district officials.
An attorney representing one of the nine Wayne Hills football players charged with aggravated assault has notified several municipal and school district officials of a $15 million claim his client could file against them.
David Kreizer, who represents one of the nine teenagers charged with two counts of aggravated assault, sent the document to officials on Tuesday. The plaintiff’s name was withheld from the document because he is a minor.
“From the investigation that we’ve done so far, these people either had a hand in the investigation or arrests, or the extracurricular activities suspensions,” Kreizer said. “Everyone named in the notice was involved in the narrative.”
The nine players, including 18-year-old star wide receiver Andrew Monaghan, were charged with aggravated assault after they reportedly attacked two Wayne Valley High School students as they walked down Urban Club Road after leaving a house party the night of Oct. 29.
Interim Superintendent Michael Roth and the nine members of the Board of Education are named in the notice. The Board and Roth suspended the players from extracurricular activities Nov. 25, claiming the arrests and suspensions were having a negative effect on the two high schools.
“I feel as if the Board acted because they had to react and they caved to public pressure from people in town,” Kreizer said. “They didn’t afford my client, or the other eight people, due process. They just made a decision.”
Pavlak said Thursday that, on the advice of Board attorney Nathanya Simon, he declined comment. Roth could not be reached for comment.
Mayor Chris Vergano, Police Chief John Reardon, and Detective Capt. James Clarke are also named in the notice.
Speaking of Vergano, Kreizer said: “We believe that he was knowledgeable of facts that point to the police department not doing a proper investigation or facts that point to my client not being at the fight.”
Vergano refused to comment Thursday. Reardon could not be reached.
The notice states that the minor “was not present at the alleged location” and was “not involved in the alleged incident whatsoever.” The notice states there are “multiple alibi witnesses willing to swear” that he was not at the incident. The legal document, which is technically considered a presentation of claims, also states that police failed to “properly investigate” the incident.
Under state statute, Kreizer has six months to file a lawsuit against the parties named.
The Wayne Hills football team won its eighth state sectional championship in 10 years Dec. 3.