Cigarette in a Potted Plant May Have Caused Fire, Authorities Say
All five fire companies responded to the fire Friday morning. No injuries were reported.
A fire that ripped through an Indian Road home might have started due to a cigarette in a potted plant, authorities said Friday.
Detective Capt. James Clarke told NorthJersey.com that the owner of the home might have attempted to extinguish the fire before calling the fire department.
The fire started outside the house and moved into the attic. A significant portion of the back part of the house was burned and there was water damage to the inside of the house.
All five fire companies responded to the blaze Friday morning. The homeowner’s daughter and her boyfriend we at home when the fire started. They and a few pets escaped without any injuries.